Highlights from the
Protecting the Public's Health
Summary of Board Actions
During its December 13-15, 2000 meeting, the Board voted to issue:
- One Summary Suspension
- One Practice Restriction
- One Surrender of License
- One Decree of Censure
- Sixteen Letters of Reprimand
- Four Probationary Orders
- Eleven cases were referred to Formal Hearing
2001 Proposed Changes
The Board approved a plan to make legislative and policy changes to improve the administrative process for investigating and resolving complaints. As a result of these changes the Board will be more timely and consistent in disciplinary actions taken.
The following proposed legislative changes were approved:
- Create a Cease and Desist provision to immediately suspend certain aspects of a physician's practice when there is a danger to public health and safety
- Allow the Executive Director to refer to formal hearing cases involving physicians whose licenses have been revoked in other states
- Amend and clarify the current statutory definition of inappropriate sexual behavior
- Increase the involvement of the Attorney General's Office in Board processes
- Delegate increased authorities to the Executive Director to dismiss any non-sustained complaint and immediately refer any applicable case to formal hearing
- Expand the Board's ability to resolve complaints
During a planning meeting in November the Board developed a proposed 4-stage investigation process that was approved during the December Board meeting as a part of the revised procedures.
The remainder of the proposed changes were developed as a result of an extensive study of other state medical boards and input from the Council on Licensure, Enforcement and Regulation (CLEAR) and the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB).
Year 2000-2001 Meeting Dates
February 14-16, 2001
April 25-27, 2001
June 20-22, 2001
August 15-17, 2001
October 10-12, 2001
December 5-7, 2001
Next Full Board Meeting
The next Full Board meeting will take place February 14-16, 2001 at the Board of Medical Examiners' Office: 9545 E. Doubletree Ranch Road Scottsdale, Arizona 85258-5539 To get to the new office:
From the South- Take Interstate 101 to 90th Street and Pima exit. Take right to Via Linda. From the North East West - From the intersection of Shea and 90th St., head south on 90th St. to Via Linda.
Take Via Linda east to 95th St. Head south on 95th Street until you reach San Salvador Dr. Turn east on San Salvador Dr. then head south on 95th Way. 95th Way will run into Doubletree Ranch Rd. The office is the north white building at 9545 E. Doubletree Ranch Rd.
An interactive map is also available.